Here’s the latest news, resources and requests for your promotional help from EAGLE’s Outreach team.
- A long era of fragmented curatorial (and digital) efforts has been closed. 1.5 years into the project, we are proud to announce that EAGLE Best Practice Network has been internationally recognized as the world’s leading consortium for digital epigraphy. Today EAGLE includes almost all the big players in the digital epigraphy sectors (there are agreements with a few institutions that have yet to be finalized). We are delighted to report that network has grown horizontally in terms of geographic reach, and vertically in terms of expert participation. Thanks to everyone for their support and participation!
- The winner of Special EAGLE prize for WikiLovesMonuments Italy 2014 has been announced. This is the winning photo. It is a beautiful image of a fragment of Fasti Consulares, conserved at the Museo Archeologico Statale di Urbisaglia – MIBAC. A detailed description of the fragment can be found here. The Special EAGLE prize for WikiLovesMonuments Italy seeks to promote the intrinsic testimonial value of inscriptions and to do so in such a way that this patrimony, which exists right under the eyes of the world yet often goes barely noticed, emerges and gains the visibility that it deserves.
- EAGLE posted more than 4,000 Photos to Wikimedia Commons. Check them out here. Even more images have been edited and include relevant categories, links and metadata, thanks to the GLAM Wiki Toolset developed by Europeana and Wikimedia Fundation. There are more than 500 people out there interested in Photos of Ancient Inscriptions!
- The EAGLE Media Wiki has been a pioneering project in the use of the software that powers Wikidata, the award winning project by Wikimedia Deutschland. Using cutting edge technology, the ambitious EAGLE community has gathered more than 10.000 translations, thereby building the world’s largest known repository of translated of greek and roman inscriptions.The user-friendly system for triples entry and the detailed guidelines on the wiki has allowed for the initiation of school projects, collaborations among high-level researchers, and the enrichment of reusable data for digital and research projects.
- The EAGLE Vocabularies contain now all terms in use by the content providers of the EAGLE project. They have been functional to data harmonization and ingestion processes in Europeana, but also constitute an invaluable resource in themselves as the first-ever attempt at harmonizing controlled vocabularies across the discipline. In response to unexpected but numerous reuses already made by external stakeholders, an initiative to transform this vocabulary into a thesaurus has been undertaken.
- EAGLE Second International Event, Nicosia, Cyprus – Dates: 10-11-12 march 2015
- EAGLE Third International Event, Bari, Italy – Dates: 23-24-25 September 2015
- EAGLE Second International Conference 2016 – Dates: 27-28-29 January 2016
More info will be soon available here.
We would like to take this opportunity to wish you Happy Holidays a very a Happy New Year!
The EAGLE Team